Taxis in Bangkok are cheap, and you can easily find them around the city especially at the tourist attraction places. All taxis in Bangkok are metered-taxi and the fare starts at 35 baht for the first kilometer (The detail of taxi fare rate can be found here). In this post I write about tips that you should know before taking taxi in Bangkok. Hope it is useful to you.
Tips to use the taxi
- Have an address of your destination written in Thai as some taxi drivers do not understand English. If you are going to visit the less well-known place, it would be good to have a map with you because the taxi drivers might not know how to go to that place.
- A taxi is vacant if a small red sign lit up (See the red circle in the photo above).
- Tell the driver your destination before getting on the taxi. It is quite common that a taxi driver might refuse to take you to your destination, if he thinks it is too far or the traffic to that area is congested. And, if he refuses, what you can do is try a new one.
- If a taxi driver tells you that the meter is not working and gives you a fixed fare, I recommend you to find a new taxi. He might have a hidden agenda.
- Prepare small change to pay the fare. Tipping is not required, but it is nice to do.
- Check your belongings before getting off a taxi.
Have you ever been to Bangkok? Have you ever taken a taxi in Bangkok? Share your experience with me in the comments!