Provincial Waterworks Authority has claimed that the tap water is safe for drinking, and it passes World Health Organization standards. But, as a local, I do not drink tap water; I use it just for cleaning, brushing and cooking. Many people believe in the quality of the tap water, but they are in doubt about the pipes that carry the water.
So, where can you get the drinking water?
This is not a big issue. There are several options to get the drinking water.
– Buy drinking water from shops: buying drinking water in Thailand is very easy and also cheap. You can find it at stalls on streets, mom-and-pop shops, 7-eleven convenient stores, supermarkets, shopping malls, and so on. Usually it costs around 7-10 baht for 600 ml, and costs 12-15 baht for 1.5 liters. The more you buy, the cheaper you will get.
– Buy drinking water from machines: in Bangkok the filtrated water machines are installed all over the city, usually near the residential areas. It costs cheaper than buying from the shops. You can easily find 1 baht per liter or even cheaper.
– Boil the tap water: Boil the water, and then let it cool. You might keep it in the refrigerator and you can drink it whenever you want. After boiling, the tap water is safe to drink.
– Install water filtration system at home: with this option, you can drink water straight from the tap. Well, it is for people who plan to live in Thailand.
– Use a water delivery service: there are companies delivering filtered water to your home. With this option, you do not have to carry them back home yourself.